Loading...
HomeMy WebLinkAboutThe Huron Expositor, 1959-11-06, Page 7CROSSWORD PUZZLE 10 Twenty-sixth in a Series fre;i:31:1 '44.241 WIN •49.0.09:6i allib. ...... .04. F11.0 • ACROSS 1 Division of long • 6 poom Girl's name 10 Pound down • 14 Extent of land (pl.) athletes 16 Genus of - as Pait of PUZZLE'No. 523 • • 2,n Thrntigh 29Leviee ' ...rnoneY Penalty . 30 Sinipletons. . 31 Small beds 32' Russian. 33 Kind (4 swprd 34. Eating place • so cAt , leng heriae' 6.0 Mulberry. . 61 A fr exid 162 Beverage 63 'AnCient ' • country, , around • Euphrates , 67 Narrow • 27 Narrow •„ inlets .1 . energy • '. inlet ' !,.69 Turning. inlet 38 'Kind of '18 A'ditch dev ee, (pl.). • shrub " 10 Earthy 72 River nf40. Fancy deposit . , S. Carolina earrYing • . 21 Route , 73 Church seato . • ease .13 Guido're • 174 Turkey .41 Part.ofieg /4 Poem, • j7S Kind of-ponyIrroarn* xe a.77.Cut, Lifter . "...45"elrThe yak ' 27' Gem ' 'snick .,48 Kind of. 178 Sinall ' cheese_ , •depression; 10 Capuchin, 19' Leavening' monkey ...ennipound • • • „_. . • • 2 Tune.' 3 Tidy 4 Symbol for . 29 Monk ...30 Pronoun. 81 Course of , 84 olloVved • '1 regimen • Anglii;Saicon , cOln, exudation .30,.Arneridan: _ „ _Indians 5' Kilrl • inumerry ' of India 44.'Sand hills - 8 Fabled bird 46 &barbarian .. 9 On land 51.Parson • ' 1.12, Dese1rie- .521VOT . ticrened , affection 19 Raised . .54 Dried grape. .22 Garden tool' • •53 Plant of heath , 55 'City of ' - 'Paraguay 31 Finds' • fault with 57 rore,igner 59 Upper Elms* of French . , •Parliathent 61 S. African fox 62 Mountainlake .' 64 Roekhsh 65.Ernmets • ' '66 Debatable " 08 Reverential , • fear Regret ; 7/ 'Secret agent ,1islizitnd screw." MIMI MOOD MUM 3MOU MO03 =MU@ WOM BROU =MOB 31330133 01403.3011 00011 OMOUBUB 3301131511303 033• OMUUM-WOODU =MO% 30030 DUO@ 33E100 D3OR1 333. ORMUHRME 31133ORDIROOM 333 : UMOD ANIUMMU M=13 MOO BUBB MOODO MMOU ULM UMUND M» BUM Atiolver ta o "You mean to sa just 3-a- ay -ma send backache away!" Sonnds good! Logical, -tool You see the' normal job of, the. ' 'kidneys is to remove omega wasterand acids, -sr often the cause of fradeadte-Lfrom the system. Dodd'r Kidney pills ,sthnulitte, the'..: kidneys in this function and so may bring you' that vielonne relief from backache they have ; laani others. Try just 3.s -day. Yon Can ilejiencl on Dodd's in .the blue box with tire red' band. scif, WANT ADS BRING .RESULTS PHONE '‘,141. SEAFOR, H MONUMENT WORKS OPEN DAILY Pryde & Son ALL TYPES OF CEMETERY MEMORIALS , Inquiries are' invited. Telephone Numbers: xeter 41 - Clinton 1620 eaforth 573. ord..711EEP-1.N.: the Ileutti this beautiful, ultra -modern coni- bination storm and screen doer will add a distinctive --touch to your home , . . harmonizes with all types of architecture. Changes from screen door .to storm door in seconds. Guaranteed by Good Housekeeping and backed by far tofy wataniy. - • Best (Oat/ 49,50 Installed Complete' (lo' extras) • Only Winter Seat. Offers $o Much...For So Little 01' New 'VUE.RAMA.,..._, 0. PorronaltrOd with. • rrirtpol(on • your own initial .0xtrisciedA'Perfettly boloncod plastie JAMS DOOR CLOSER and. GASKET , •CHAIN < • N.* putentid OUSil-iIIITION LATCH . soh Aluminum LIMITED Phone 74 • , ro.r.t :Seaforth CARRON.060,k'-, Q It was John IVICConnell„. Sr.; vi,rho built the first" franle small. building beside Dill's store to provide accommodation -for tailor *George Howard, whose:father. lost 'his...Shop in the fix -6 of 18701 Con 'Friel, a shoemakOr,,a10.!aid laisiness-in Part of the , After Dr. MiChell, gave up..„,hisoffiCein John' J. MeKezina'Sherne).:whiCh 'was later JameS, Serdan's,..anaber. frame building; -similar in ,size tO .the other, WaS biiittand,Dr. Michell then had •this for his :office as Jong as he remained in, the village,: Frain -:19:18 ,until.195.2 'these. tWo.buildingS Were. .used by David 1VIOCannell, and 'later by his ,sen, Joe, ior general, store. George Goettl'er did busines herejrom 1952' -until he: moved ,iii:q3ecernber, 1055; across the Street tathe Lobby block. Joe McConnell is the present owner, :and -the Dublin Electric, managed by Don MacRae, .is doing •busine'sS here at the present title,. • ..- - • 'Around L920left Mie Kidd ,otoie; ap.cl built the; cement one :south afl/cConixells. He. carried ari.a. hard- ware business here till he diedin-191.:- ThaindS,.B.Utters;,the present 'occupant, followed, Hills... „.. , •• ,a township treasurer, :In 1922 When 'all .tOVViiship treasurers Were -Called :to:Taranto:la have .„., their • work: inspected by the Provincial' T.reasure±„.Wilhams RBIS' boakS: ,Were. seleCted, . :as Model for all; other toWnOUP: treasurers to o1337; • • • • t - :•••• . • , " , ' Stapleton. is another, who has. been in. bUsiness. for Many years, east' of- the 'old:bank -.Site; and before that his business, on: a,•srnaller, Seale, was carried On in part of Kidd's stare, Flour •and feeil,..Seet1C;Caal;:fuel oil, .eement. and grain .are now his 'lines of inerehandiSe....Heis.,;a1Se.a..grain buYer: and, doe S 'existoni 'chopping.' • His:. San; Edwin, 15 flOW in the buSineawith:Iiina.,-,Their 'feed is Mixed according tea: Variety of •fatinulae .for: special .purpose use ford -airy, cows,' poultry; beef ,Oattletand"haga. '.'Another:§on,'Fergns 'Stapleton, is in charge., ef a large:brailer ',Plant.' The thousands Of broilerS, whichare.: raised here. are all Said: under . Contract: • . . . . „ . , .:Marshali and:Ander:Seri Wete:,the nianagets::of the first cooperage ceoperage shop,.,:and thefirat•griSt'andfeedinill was operated byzIfyirian & Bean..:.ThiS Mill. WaS,:sittiated,!'a-Jittle...northwest• -the village,' Joseph Kidd 'Was anather owner in the:: : The olcitraine building, still standing' on the west side of Main Street, :Was . the blacksmith !Shop .iina0. :Years' agO;:". Pf Mr Gaurlay; who Came from ,Kikktan: .later :yearait haa - . . ;been. used by George Rock, 'Paul !' KOwlaski,' johp, Briixek and.. JOe. O'Connell as,:a thopping mill." Wheii grain was Sold rn larger quantities by the farmers arOuna:theturrii of the. century, •ThomPsans Mitchell, had James' Davis as their -buyer 'here... • . , , . , , • . Here in Other- places,carriage and 'blacksmith sliops Were, in the the pioneer daYs, very necessary placesof business.7 'Henry,,Signian had one Of the early carriage' shops and sold in1875'o, Bei who. later Moved to 'Stratford::: Jahn: Daert. Was. another *ha had.: a wagon shopin: the 70's , .• ' . As, fat back Jarnes Pierce had a:hlaCksinith• shop :and :.did :repair :Work alorigthe.Main ;Street, -bUt',, the exact Ideation is not known Pierce Was very.quick'teMPeted 11 is told that one daya natran'eaMe to have a heavy logging 'Chain .repaired;:and:qindertook to tell Pierce s haw. to .d0 it..• Right then Pierce 'gathered,nP.the chain, walked to the Shop dear, arici"*ith ahettY:heaVefflung it Out an the 'read), inforin,. ing' his adViser'Arlfew.-.bUt'rmeariingfol *.o.ds, that he would have ;nothing More to do with it, • .• Near jOe: O'Connell's . ehatiPing: :Ma there was -a shop • befOrethe,..fire WhiCh•Mi...Scains,,,Whe later; Moved: ta.Born- holm, either owned or in it served his 'apprenticeship.; It Was ;here ::Alex Ross carried on the same business till"the,'fire of 1879.: He: nuiSt: have soon .rebuilt as, he 'said in 1881 :•ta. the BruxerS---,Gregary :rand. D�minick. After. :Gregory,, • while, . Darininick ran it; Louie.:Zhniner; in theback part of it; 'had a 'carriage shoji; pAid stiillatoi Litt and Eghotz Made'a.:Patent• fence in: that 'same part of. the building, ••1•It this: time that the building was burned to the ground .. -This saine.Alex Ross was •!iine of first.. 'Niillage:truSteeS,.. and at one..titne,als6,,011age eanStable. • He:Was A Strang ,Man• and:large:: Of *stature; which ---AS an advantage in a tiiSale; . „ . „ , , but -a handicap ilia chase Sueli.-as. he -had day:after-Chas- ing a few:lads in a prank and -they tried to make a get -away. In' the race, Ross Caine. too ,close to one'. of :the :lads ' for coin - fort Fee1ixi fhe wind of his pursuer, Suddenly ducked,. throwing Ross sprawling at..fUll, length upon -the, •groUnd-windiess, Seizing :this opportunity, . :the •,young sCamppicked himself .up,,scgOted 'off to join the others' in. the, -gang; wha.bY"this Aline . had- gainedinuch headway. Before ROSS VMS able totakenp the. pursuit, again -the. bays had gone. under cover, but Ross knew not Where: „ • ' • Torn Delandas' another' of the.' firSt blaCksmiths..".His shop 'Was burned in the 1879 ---fire; and it. was: on the same . . site that 71Vlieliaer Doyleset itp, in business.. In the • early 1900's' James Itraiiskorif took over Doyle's blacksmith' and. woodwork ..shon., Inlater-years.,he was' aSSicted .bY his sap, Janies. ACetelyne. Welding, is -another, line that has been.add ed to:the 'busiriesa Which...Jan-1es- P.•,'Kratiskopf is carrying: on since his father retired around 1053. •!' • • • liptelsLcir tavernsas theywere then calledsupPlied an important ,need from the '6041i -est. -days; At onetirne there Were seven hotels here, and nine,..placeS; in all; "where. liquor catild -be procured:- All .did a 'flourishing btiSiness; -With liquor.. gelling at .fiftY cents : a In 104 :the -license Cost' £2 11..s' 8d,-. plus. 28 6d to the issuer of the license, And an'additional 10s to the insliectOr.". An. inspector was appoint- . ed.,fOr each electoral diYision, and One of ' his duties was to sample the:contents behind the bar. In 18$4 -Edward Downie was- the issuer the 'licenses, with' Robert Bell, William I-Iarhour; Edward Pursell and Arthur:McCann the inspectors. On. the corner of Lot 16 Robert DOrdrin 'built the firSt (log tairern in the- village, the One in which the -'-Township Council Meetings, Were held in the early 750's: -Thomas Craw,ford; some time before•1875,:huilt a large frame hotel on the same lot, with the :front facing the east.. This was known as the Commercial Hotel; The old 'blinding; still standing', Was. the hotel 'kitchen, and above the kitchen there. Was A dance • hall.' In later: year this building Was, used by Jack Redmond for his .1iVery. stable..' After :Toni Crawford 'died; his San, George; :had a ::sinall• grocery.store:and'his bon -ie in this frame hotehLater it,was 'owned for rnank-years by. 'Jack Redmond. After the Smith brothers, ,Frank ,and Garfield, bought if in 1928, they had it. maved,.just:west of its,,first location and niade into a duPlex. ',house forftliernaelves.,-. Garfield and . his nephew„ Williani Siiiit11,- still. .:After -the building *as Played; Sniith ,Bratliers' built. a garage': On the -hotel. site, 'where ,:they. did bUSiness till they, went-td-Seaforth.: Since then Keri Basset -and Cronin Brothers have been in charge, Jame § Cronin IS the .preSent Owner, -with Lorne' Cronin as !;mariager.'" The interior, af: the building was bili'innO on -November .26, .1957, Wit it is 4eri for business -again; John' Crawford, a ,brother : Toires;. was Tom's .hostler and handyman at the time he ran the hotel, John had . vat long whiskers ---long enough to-braid.He was also: very fond. Of his grog, and to any One who bought Aim a drink he:grant- ed a special PriVilege to, that: persaii," namely:, to braid his -whiskers and'lea& him aronncl the:hat-roam. ,This: Provided entertainnient-for the :taverncronies, • ' • Torn:Crawford. Was the . One -who :built the brick :Huron Hotel on the MCKillop 'corner at the intersectiott :This is the only hotel now in us?, but linperated. in :a /Midi' differ- ent manner than those in the hy.gOrie day. Owners .since ?ART. -TWO 13Y ISABELLE CAMPBELL Tom' Crawford have been Jeremiah---Flahert-y and; Francis O'Brien, Ilendley Cook,. -Joe Weber, John Ilacknel and Louis Wolfe. For a' time Pat Lunney and his sisters had it for a private home. Theri again it was used as a hotel by 'Colonel' •Crawford; who was no relation of , Tom ,CraWford. Paul came next;" then Donald R.' Murray and Warren' K. -Brawn had it together, linriater..BraWn owned it .alane. Earl -I. Ruby had It -mkt, and rs.::Derathy Healy , IS in charge at the present 'time, „ The Nevens' Hotel is still standing., This is where Wil- fred and Clarenee ;KrauskoP'f. nat. :keep their coal and salt This -tavern was first run by. -two Neven brothers. --John and 1.),eter. John moved :to Stratford and died there in 1868, and Peter died here- in 1872. Peter's widow, the forrnr Ann Kerinyrawned the hotel till she died in 1993. Part time Peter Dunn and Jeremiah Flaherty .had it: rented. The Rauway Hotel Was a- large white frame building an the corner where the ,Commerce Bank noW stands:- Felix Gallagher -„WasS.. the:. firStowner, but his WidoW, and son; Michael, were the oneg., lit charge in the. early 70's. '7John McConnell, Sr., Michael Pursell and.' , each • had it a shell time, then Tom Page rented for --a: few years. In. the 80's Patrick and:Mchael Farr 'took it over and. dur- ing that time it; ,like„many :other buildings inthe village, .was 'reduced to, a heap -Of' ashes, and it never 'Was rebuilt. -After •the fire the Faris Moved to. Goderich. The Carpenter House, owned by William Carpenter and 'situated just Over the bridge an. the Logan side,' was run, bY Carpenters from the' tixne it was built.Untili,t Was- destroyed by ,fire in the 1890S. Williain„ in the winter of .1882 -When returning hoille from Seaforth vvasthrown from -his cutter' at the Silver :C;reek bridge; east ofthe town, when his horse ran away. The next day he Passed away.frorn the effects Of his injiiries. „ , CorneliiiS Prendergast, .who married:" Mary', Boland,- a. granddaughter of Arthur IV1cCann, Sr., wa,s ,the wnet-of the - old two-storey Doi/Union Hatei for many years -bfore it and the stable cannected With it were burned in' the fire -of 1879. Verr soon Prendergast had a new three-storey brick hi...tel. built on the, , same site Rheurnatism,arthritis and heart -diSeasettoultl-nothave been Coninian-ailMentsOI-Dr. TOwl'S patients; it 'was on the -third floor of this building he had his :office while, he practised here .% Owner's after :Prendergast'. sold :the building th 1898 Were Jacob Weber, -1,11#, ',roe ,and Jahn Miller, his nephews, as his assiStanta. 'Jacob Weber, andhis brother, Joe Weber,later owned it :jointly•;,then followed Francis and John B. Boehler; brothers - in -Jaw Of Jake and Joe Weber.' Charles McDaid, Joe' Evans) Patrick, judge . and A.:'lleniteau, of Listowel; were the last Owners while.it.was a hotel.. •• - _..•Feeling the need. for: greater accommodation; the; Mc - \Hibbert Telephone Company ,purchased it 7fartheir office; but, this .Change was never made ,Wreckers from London in the. 1030'S, removed - the top storey and 'A large partionat the back of the building; ' making 'it Much Sinaller. .• Frain 1035 the Post Office has been iii!this build- ing Gera:if-Holland is the preseiit `owner and the part :not used as a post office; has ,been converted into apartments. • ' The Making of,baotS and shoes by hand up to the early 1906's Was a thriving busineSs. -Some of the shoemakers and -repairer's names may have been forgotten, but 'a few can still • be recalled,. Patriek,...Tordan and his Son; -,John, also Torn, TOE HURON PAPOS TOR, SEAPORIII, OT. RESERVe'YOUR COPY OF " A HIBBERT REVIEW - PART TWO fflp Isabelle Campbell) Ilibbert Review" -will be issued in book form on cora. pletibn of the present series. Copies will be 'available Decernber, 1959. These will make attractive Christ. mas gifts. Those reserving books will be informed when these 'copies are available, and these can be purchased from THE EXPOSITOR; NAME ADDRESS - mail th: THE HURON- EX.POSITOR Seaforth Ontario 0 SEAFORTH • Re» --DOG ROCLAMAT n view, of the disregard by the general pub - lie of the recent proclargation issued by the Town Council,__re- the confinement of dogs; and the fact that they are not to run at large _ it-ahr tfine, the Courtefi:feels-tliat---chirges must be laid uhdeethis By-law. Any owner or harbourer of a •clog__who allows it to run' at large - can be summoned into Court The fine in a case of this kind',could be t50.00 and costs. The Council and Myself would ask all citi- zens concerned to comply with the laws and avoid the consequeneee. , • CFIRISTIE oF who was deaf and dumb, carried on this business for many WANT ADS BRING RESULTS - Phone 141 years,in,the old empty building on the Logan oOrner on -No- Read the Advertisements Ira; a Profitable 8 Highway. -The blinding is now owned by the Smith '•While in bnsiness, Tatrickwife was the business Manager.: She looked after Ithe. • accounts : and Ordered': the SiiPplies. . jesePh 'McGrath;:a ePhew of the •Saidan, boys, in tlie.:stable here did his slaughtering and sold 'meat in the 1920's Con Friel*as. another; shoemaker in the •70s, and James. Ken- nedy, an old gentleman Who lived:near theriver, also did simile shoe repairing.. - .. .• .. . ... . . : •' MattlaeW Williams, after- Ge.eirge Kidd, was ,the comMun- ity.: ,nndertaker in, the days .When coffins . were, made. to rn.easiire and had in, no' decoration. It IS. told ' ef . one, who had been sent to ;get a.' caiiiii,. that, when asked the size .neelded,Jooked a bit puzled. .`.,'93y golly; I've:forgotten the megsurement, but," aid he, his face brightening; "she was :About the size of that little girl," pointing to one not far -off.. "Come, Kate," said Mr, Williams, ;and:obediently Kate camke forward to be measured, and soon the man Was on his Way With a coffin the. required -siie. Williain 1.'• "Cleary, :iii.- the 1920's; carried an this hbusiness,- and' Joe' Burke, -, in later years, had his: funeral home in- the old bank .building tor • time,• but it is noWl at his farm' home on Cancession. 6. - The livery stable of Thorna0'..De Cantillori„&jolin; McCon:,.. riell,, Jr„ And -Jack Redinond; were as important ,in 'theirday as the garages and :gas Stations are in the:Village today. .- Seldom .is a. village, :With the population •::af Dublin, able to boast' of its own local weekly newspaper; put this Dublin Could -do for a time hack in the .1020's. In JanuarY;' 1922, Tfri Duni.,IN ..S'I`ANDAI,ID , made Its first appearance in Peter Dill.'s store, to be.Picked up bY the subscribers, but by. April 20th the copies 'were' sent out bY mail, for the first time,'.,No publisher's name appeared' on the paper.: .The price was $1.50 a year, in advance. From -a few of :the early copiesof the Dublin Stand rd, 'Stiff in possessionof John Kenny, , have keen taken,'tht items relating to the. business places in Dublin. In the an -, ary 20th .issue, advertisements *ere 'run by L. 1, Looby, Creamery; Michael J. Klinkl9-inther, groderies, boots and: :Shoes ; William J. Cleary,,funeral director, furniture, Pianos, phonographs, etc.; , Red's Barber Shop and Pool /team .(W., McLearn, barber, W, J. -Redmond,' proprietor); Frank Dun- seith's new 'blackainith- shop; Harry Nelmes, butcher; 'Wil- liam Hills & Co, hardware; Peter Dill, groceries; David Mc:, Connell, :groceries ;j Edward J. Murphy, -groceries, clothing, seed potatoes:arid grass seed ;* Williagi Stapleton, :cement and feed, Dr. II. A. SiMpkins. • - - Charles McDaid had ' jt- opened a 'grocery:store arid barber shop, in .the former Billie Joe Fortune's' BakeshaP, purchased frorn Ms. Fortune., This is where ,Walter. Cat - :ii.• penter now has hi barbershop. , ' ' - • ...By April 'ther ' Weitl More business CbangeStYnamely.: Louis J. Looby .had''So/d- to the Dublin, Creamery; Joseph Evans on April 10 got possession of Harry Nelmes' butcher 'business; John Flannigan had 'purchased M. Klinkhanuner's general Merchant business; Dan Costello,. Looby Block, Main St.; had just purchased the barbering business of William Same of the others business through the year not already mentioned have been; W.'Shur, barber; John Haw- kins; 'butcher; James Pierce, 'bakeshop; John Brennan, grocer ; John ,Bolger, jeweler ; Dimald McNevin, tailor; JVIrs, Janet Mustard, dressmaker ; Miss Mary,'Walsh, tailoress; Arthur Forester) bakeshop ;* P.. j." Tyers; -motor service; Gerald Holland, insurance agent and Chinchilla dealer; Mrs. George Crich, clecorationg• and party novelties;- Patrick Jordan, transport operator; Cronin Eros., livestock and custom trucking; Sohn A. Darling, iniplement repairs; Dan Costello, gas station 'manager; John Nagle, Millwright; Joe Burns,.plasterer and bricklayer; - otiimienswommon. NEED RIJBBER. .STAIIIIPS? THE HURON EXPOSITOR SEAPC).RTH ONI'AR/0 • DR. M. W. STAPLETON Physician and Surgeon Phone 90 : Seaford]. If no answer, call 59 , GORVVILL, B.A., Physician ana Surgeon •. Phones: Office 5-W Res. 5-J • SEAFORTH • Telephone 26 A. NclVIASTER, ILA:, M.D. Internest Telephone 27 P. L. BRADY, MX, Surgeon Telephone 750 W 1 • DR. E. MALKUS Telephone 15 EVENINGS: 'Tuesday, 'I'hursday and Saturday anlY, 73 P.m. • Appointments may be made. ' A. M. HARPER, ' Chartered Accountant, 55 South St. Telephone Goderich JA 4.7562 • Licensed MutdeipaL411d1lor. G. A. NVEBB, D.C.* *Doctor` of Chiropractic, 438 ,Main Street Exeter ' -K-Ray and Laboratory Facilities, - Open Each Weekday Except Wednesday. Tues. and Thurs. Evenings. For:Appointment- - Phone 606 • DON S.' DENNLS Auctioneer Graduate of Reisch American School of Auctioneering. Licensed in Huron and Perth. Capable of handling all types of sales and ad- vertising. DON„ DENNIS, Walton Phone Seaforth-4343 r stAFORTI1 VETERINARY CLINIC J. 0. Turnbull, V.S. W. R. Bryans, D.V.M4 • W. G. Drennan, D.V.M., V.S. Phone 105 Seaforth or 142 Pastime RECTO A. W. SILLERY . Barrister Sohertor, Etc. Phones: Office 1/3, Residence 781 SEAFOR'ITI : ONTARIO - AlcCO1NTNELL 8z STEWART Barristers, Solicitors, Etc. P. D. McCONNELL •D. L STEWART , SEAFORTH, Ont. • 'Telephone 174 D. 11. MCINNES Chiropractic - -Foot Correction ° •• COMMERCIAL HOTEL . Monday, Thursday - 1 to 8 p.m: , JOHN E. IA)NGSTARY Phone 79?p.tom:etris,t. Seaforthr E3res. Examined' Glasses Fitted • MAIN OFFICE, SEAFORTH Office Hours: Seaforth „daily, exeept Monday, 9 a.m. - 5:30 p.m.; WednesdaY, 9 ' a.m. - 12.30 p.m.; 1 Thursday evenings by appointment Clinton: Monday, 9 a.m. - 5:30 p.m, (Above Hawkins' • Hardware.) TIIE MeKILLOP • • IVIUTUAL FIRE INSURANCE CO. • HEAD OFFICE,-S----EAPORTH Ont President:4tOoFb7rCtEARrSiiiihal‘ d.; Sea- Vice,President--Aliister Broadfoot, Seaforth . Secretary -Treasurer -W. E. S9uth- gate, Seaforth. . DIRECTORS: E. 1.. Trewarili-Clinton; J., L. Malone, .Seaforth; Chris.. .Leon- hardt; Bornholm; Robert Archi- bald, Seaforth; John R. McEwing, Blyth; William S. Alexander, Wal- ton; HarVerFuller, Goderich; 3. E. Pepper, Brucefield; Allister Broadfoot, Seaforth. •William -Leiper, Jr., Londes; bora; .L F. .prueter, Brodhagen; Selwyn Baker, Brussels; james Keys, RR, 1, Seaforth; Harold Squires, R.R. 3, Clinton: 000.0***0000.-00 W. J. CLEARY Seaforth, Ont` ° LICENSED EMBALMER * and FUN1ERAL DIRECTOR * Night or -Day -Calls 335 4 ecj0<> 0000 0 *** 0 „* 4“0: * 0. EOX • • Funerol.Service It:s.BOx •* 0 Licensed Embalmer * ..'P'''Pronapt and careful attention 0 Hospital Bed 0 MOWERS FOR, ALL . OCCASIOTS * "Phones: Res. sss-W stet% 43 0 000000'0000.00 [30*000O0**00 .J. A. BuRK,E - nunral-Directer. „ 0 and. Ambulance Service ° r * DUBLIN' : 0Nr. * :Night or Day Cana: ° * ` Phone 48 r 10 0 130.*******000 00.**000000.0 G. A., wirrrNEY. rimeral Home - Gecierich St, W» Seaforth AMBULANCE SERVICE 0 AdIttstable hospital beds * for rent 0 :FLOWEAS-VOR EVERY * oCcASIDN Telephenb:Dy orNig.htm * , • 0**00.0**00-00